Between 1856 and 1859 a series of "permanent barracks" were constructed in Aldershot, Hampshire. Each barrack consisted of two large blocks for the accommodation of soldiers. The individual blocks were connected by a glass roof which allowed for outside exercise even in bad weather conditions.
View of the Infantry Barracks, Aldershot, black-and-white photograph, Great Britain, ca. 1860, unknown photographer; source: Aldershot Military Historical Trust, MM1983.2444.4, http://www3.hants.gov.uk/museum/aldershot-museum/local-history-aldershot/aldershott/aldershott-5.htm.