The first purpose-built Russian Church in Paris, dedicated to St. Aleksandr Nevskii (ca. 1220–1263), was opened in 1861. It is the seat of the Patriarchal Exarchate for Orthodox Parishes of Russian Tradition in Western Europe under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. The church is located in the 8th arrondissement and was built in the Neo-Byzantine style. Funds for the erection of the church were mainly raised by donations, among others Alexander II (1818–1881) of Russia contributed a substantial sum.
Orthodox church Saint Alexandre Nevskii - rue Daru - Paris 8th district (France), colour photograph, 2008, photographer: Pline; source: Wikimedia Commons, http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cathedrale-A--Nevski-Paris-.jpg. Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported.